Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Book Review: A Month of Mondays by Joelle Anthony


Publish Date: March 7, 2017
200 Pages [Kindle edition]
Published by Second Story Press

Synopsis:
This can’t be good! Suddenly Suze’s mom wants back into her life, and her teacher wants her to “try harder”?!

As if middle school wasn’t hard enough, Suze Tamaki's life gets turned upside down when her mother reappears after a ten-year absence. Once Suze gets over her shock, she thinks it might be cool to get to know her mom. But her older sister Tracie is determined not to let her back into their lives.
At school things aren’t much better. One of her teachers decides the way to cure Suze’s lack of motivation is to move her into Honors English – a development Suze finds both inspiring and distressing. When she's paired with straight-A student Amanda on an English assignment, she finds herself caring about people’s expectations like she’s never done before.


My Thoughts:
I was gifted this ebook via Netgalley.
I started off enjoying this book quite a bit and then it sort of dragged on and I began to lose interest. I can only imagine that if my preteens were reading this, they would also get bored with it. Suze is a 13 year old who lives with her father and older sister. Her mother walked out on her family when she was too young to remember and now her mother is back. In addition to that storyline, you also follow her time at school where Suze is constantly in trouble, but a well-meaning teacher puts her on a project with her friend, Amanda.

I felt that it would have been nice to have the focus more on Suze's mother and her past. I felt that was rushed. I felt that Suze was quite immature for her age and I would have guessed her to be around 11. I do really appreciate the spotlight on school custodians, as my mom is a custodian.

Find on Goodreads

No comments: