Saturday, January 20, 2018

Book Review: Buzz Books 2018: Young Adult Spring/Summer by Publishers Lunch


Synopsis:
Welcome to Buzz Books 2018: Young Adult Spring/Summer. These substantial pre-publication excerpts reflect a broad spectrum of today’s young adult writing, from fantasy and romance to suspense and humor. You will discover debut writers to put on your radar, while enjoying early samples from some of the biggest authors in the field and even a memoir for younger readers.
 

Readers will be happy to see included Stephanie Garber’s sequel to her New York Times bestselling debut novel Caraval, a previous Buzz Books. Other fantasies are Furyborn by Claire Legrand, Fawkes by Nadine Brandes, and Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young. 

Then come back to the present with Boston Globe advice columnist Meredith Goldstein’s YA debut about a teen science whiz who tries to crack the chemical equation for lasting love or Buzzfeed writer Farrah Penn’s Twelve Steps to Normal, about a father’s recovery from alcoholism. Start reading the bestsellers of tomorrow right now to see why reviewers rave with comments like these:
 

Love Buzz Books! They are so helpful for librarians. This YA sampler is particularly great for any librarian with a sizable teen population. Some very interesting titles highlighted here, in a wide variety of genres.

Then spread the word: your friends and family can download this free edition of Buzz Books at any major ebookstore or at buzz.publishersmarketplace.com. For broader reading, check out Buzz Books 2018: Spring/Summer, also available now, for 40 excerpts from top forthcoming adult fiction and nonfiction titles.


My Thoughts: [will add links to books soon]
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
This collection from Publishers Lunch contained 12 books. I had 2 of the books on my TBR, I added 5 more, 2 were meh, and I skipped 3 because they were sequels.  

Fawkes by Nadine Brandes [4 stars]: Son of Guy Fawkes? Sold. I don't read enough stories from a male POV. I really enjoyed what I read. Added to my TBR.  

The Boy From Tomorrow by Camille DeAngelis [3 stars]: This is a MG book. I was kind of meh about it. I think my daughter would really love it and I wouldn't be surprised if this comes in an Owlcrate Jr box. I may or may not read it if it does :)  

Brightly Burning by Alexa Donne [5 stars]: Loved this couple chapters of sci fi goodness. I like the sci fi trope of the spaceship failing. Added to my TBR.  

Unbreakable by Sara Ella [skipped]: Third book in a trilogy I haven't read.  

Legendary by Stephanie Garber [skipped]: Sequel to a book I didn't like.  

Chemistry Lessons by Meredith Goldstein [5 stars]: Chemistry/science-y nerd stuff - YASSSSSSSSS! Added to my TBR.  

Orphan Monster Spy by Matt Killeen [4 stars]: Younger kid me enjoyed any stories about WW2, the Titanic, and the Oregon Trail, so I'm not sure why this wasn't on my radar. I enjoyed the short bit I read :) Added to my TBR.  

Furyborn by Claire Legrand [5 stars]: I already had this book on my TBR and now I am even more excited for its release. This is what I wanted Roar to be like and was disappointed when it wasn't!  

Twelve Steps to Normal by Farrah Penn [4 stars]: I have to say that I was weary with it being a Patterson presents book and written by a Buzzfeed writer but don't judge a book by its cover (and by that I mean its publisher/author's resume?). I liked what I read so far even though it was the shortest excerpt so far - or at least it certainly seemed that way. Added to my TBR.  

Frat Girl by Kiley Roache [3 stars]: Not sure how to feel about the little bit that I read. Depending on the reviews it gets when it's released, I may decided to give it a go. It wasn't awful or anything.  

Reclaiming Shilo Snow by Mary Weber [skipped]: Sequel to a book I haven't read.  

Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young [5 stars]: HOLY CRAP! As if I couldn't get more hyped to read this novel, I get surprised with it being the last excerpt in this collection from Buzz Books. My heritage is Norwegian and I was raised celebrating Norwegian culture, so my obsession with Vikings will always be a thing. I have an ARC of this book on my desk. MUST READ ASAP. Easily my fave excerpt.

No comments: