Sunday, September 11, 2011

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Review]

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)

Stats:
#5 in HP series
870 pages
Published 1 July 2003

Synopsis:
Harry Potter is due to start his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His best friends Ron and Hermoine have been very secretive all summer and he is desperate to get back to school and find out what has been going on. However, what Harry discovers is far more devastating than he could ever have expected...

My Thoughts:
I responded to two emails today saying this is the book I love to hate and hate to love. Or something like that. It's the longest of all the books in the series and probably the first book I had ever read that made me cry. (SPOILERS BELOW)

Things I hate about this book:
-Harry's attitude when he first gets to Grimmauld Place
-Kreacher
-Harry's attitude when he doesn't get to be a prefect
-Umbridge
-Quidditch - losing the Beaters AND the Seeker - lame!
-Filch (and why would Umbridge like a Squib?)
-The Cho-Harry relationship
-Harry's attitude at various other times like when Hermione says he is into saving people and when Dumbledore confronts him after being at the MoM.
-Grawp (as well as the other giants)
-Sirius dying

Things I love about this book:
-Occlumency
-Fred & George's antics from beginning to end
-Tonks
-O.W.L.S - that may make me a nerd but I loved hearing about the school part of Hogwarts
-Dumbledore's Army
-Dumbledore's boss exit out of Hogwarts
-Fred & George's boss exit out of Hogwarts
-Epic fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort
-Malfoy in Azkaban


Previously Reviewed:
Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson [here]


Up Next:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (HP #6) by JK Rowling

6 comments:

Lulu and Sweet Pea said...

Omg I love love LOVE The Order of the Phoenix! But I agree with you on a lot of the "hates" especially Harry's overall attitude about most things. There were SO many times that I wanted to smack him lol. I think JK Rowling does that for a reason obviously though, because it shows harry maturing (and lack of maturity at times) and it kind of shows how at times he totally has a here complex and does get a big head because of who he is & how he's "the chosen one" and stuff. I agree that there are SO many hates in this book but for some reason it's still one of my favorites in the series, maybe because you know more about The Order & it's members, plus the whole Dumbledore's Army thing too. This is where the books start to get sad and dark :(

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Love reading your thoughts on Potter! I too hated Sirius dieing.... Umbrich drove me nuts and of course Fred and George are the unsung hero's of the books!

RAnn said...

I think this is the one I thought was just plain too long.

Aeicha @ Word Spelunking said...

New follower here...and YAY I'm your 100th follower!

Order of the Phoenix is my 6th favorite HP book, with The Half-Blood Prince coming in last...not that I don't love all the HP books, these two are just my least favorites. I didn't really enjoy the Harry/Cho relationship either, it always felt incredibly awkward and forced. Although, I found Harry's attitude to be quite realistic for his age.

Here are my Monday Memes

The1stdaughter said...

Absolutely love Harry Potter even if this was one of the hardest in the series. So hard to see Harry crushed in this one. :o(

Hope you have a fabulous reading week and if you get a second stop my to see what I've been reading at There's A Book! :)

Kristin said...

I read all the HP books and enjoyed them. I've been thinking about going back and listening to all of them.

Stop by and see what I have going on this week at Always With a Book